Thursday, March 20, 2008

We Made It!!




Our new Texas terrain...mesquite and cactus!
Well, we are finally here in McAllen. We (me, my brother Jamie and Jake) left Georgia on Thursday, the 13th at 4:00 am and arrived in Houston 13 hours later. Ben’s sister, Emily, got married that Saturday so Ben flew in from McAllen Friday morning and we stayed for a couple days. It was a very sweet reunion between Ben and the boys…I don’t think I have ever seen Tyler run so fast when he saw him at the airport. Sunday morning the whole family, along with my mom and dad, did the last 7 hours to McAllen. I was a little shocked my first couple days here. Not because of the mesquite trees, cactus or palm trees but because of the constant 50 mph winds. Apparently, that is not normal but it has been going on for a month now. We felt like we were in a hurricane. On Monday and Tuesday, the wind kept taking the power out. I also experienced the worst Wal-mart of my life. It was like the day after Christmas times three. I didn’t know that many people could fit into one place. I had been warned against the McAllen Wal-mart and it didn’t register why until I went. The people are perfectly nice…there just happens to be thousands of them! Oh yeah…it was also 95 the day we arrived. A cold front came through yesterday so now our high is only going to be in the low 80s…I can handle that. I guess it is a good thing we grew up in Texas because we are getting introduced back to the heat very quickly. The boys may not adjust as quickly. Both of them got sunburned the first day we were here and the next day I put 50 sunscreen on them and Luke still got burned! These towheads don’t stand a chance. My parents left yesterday so today is our first day alone. We went park exploring and thought we hit the jackpot until we got to the playground and thousands of little nat like creatures swarmed us and stuck to the sunscreen…it was a pleasant experience J. Next week my best friend Crista and her family come down…we will brave the beach then. I will continually update this blog so please check back as often as you can. Please forward this to anyone you can think of. There are so many people that I do not have their email addresses.

One last thing…thank you so much to our Georgia family. There is no way I could have handled this move without your help. I was overwhelmed at your generosity and consideration while I was a single mom for a month. Thank you for forcing your help on me…I don’t delegate so well, I appreciate your help. We love you so much and already miss you.

2 comments:

The Deming Four said...

So glad you guys made it safe and sound! And we are thrilled to have you back in the Lone Star State! Maybe we can coordinate a visit the next time you are in Houston!

Love,
Melissa

Rachael and Chris said...

Welcome back to Texas!!! As soon as Delilah gets here, we need to make plans to meet up! :)